Sunday, August 01, 2021

Don't lose your iPhone

The "find your phone" feature that exists in the iCloud used to serve a purpose. If you lost your phone, you could log in with your computer and locate your phone. I've used this feature before, and it was a big relief to have it.

But now they've rendered it useless by insisting on two-factor authentication. Now, if I want to log in to iCloud, they'll send a code to my phone which I can then enter on the web page to complete the log in. That doesn't help if I've lost my phone, which is why I was logging on in the first place.

I tried to shut it off, but I can't because it's mandatory. After googling around about the problem, I discovered that the only solution is to have a buddy who you can rely on in your time of need. You use their phone number in your iCloud so the code will go to them instead of you. Then they give you the code, and you can log in and find your phone.

Just one more reason to despise Apple. They giveth, and then they taketh away--like the mag safe charging port, the ordinary USB ports, and decent keyboards that work.

No comments: