Monday, June 06, 2005

About the bows I make

Safiyyah made the brilliant suggestion the other day that I post something about my bows and about how I make them. I am only too happy to do so being as how I'm so obsessed with it. You must understand, though, that I've only been doing it for a year, and I'm no expert. I've made several different kinds of bows without necessarily mastering any particular kind.

I don't know how to post pictures on here, so I'm just going to give some links.

My really cool bow This was my second attempt at a fiberglass laminated bow, and it turned out pretty well. I made this bow for my brother.

Bamboo bow This was my second attempt at an all bamboo bow. I made it for a neighbor. This link also has a little about the process by which I made the bow.

Experimental bow This was an experimental bow. I was working with different shapes to see what would happen. I was not too happy with how this one turned out, but I'm posting it anyway, because this thread goes through the steps of building this bow. Another person wanted to know how to use the "inner tube method" for gluing up a laminated bow.

Fairie bow Here is a minature bow I did out of a piece of hickory just for the fun of it.

Mouse trap I used the same minature bow above to make a better mouse trap.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Very cool, Sam. Do you use them to shoot at targets (or hunt?) or are they more just for display? I remember using stickbows in archery practice at summer camp. That was very fun, but I bet using a bow you actually made makes the whole experience loads better.

Sam Harper said...

I mostly give them away or sell them to other people who like to shoot them. I don't do any hunting, but I do like to target shoot. Yeah, shooting a bow I've made myself is a whole different experience than shooting any other bow. Watching somebody else shoot one of my bows is pretty cool, too.

Sam Harper said...

Those pictures were working fine when I first posted these links, but a couple of days later, the pictures were deleted from teh web page. THey do that from time to time on old threads. Here is my most recent bow.