Sunday, February 17, 2019

Soft Libertarian Free Will

Blogspot seems to have made some changes that has made it impossible to post comments. My comment section works, probably because I'm still using an old theme, but I've been on two other blogspot blogs lately, and neither one will let me post comments. One of them is Evan Minton's blog. He recently posted an explanation of soft libertarian free will. Soft libertarianism differs from ordinarily (hard?) libertarianism in that your choices are limited to being within your nature (i.e. moral character). You're still free to choose between various options that are within your nature to choose, but you can't choose things that are against your nature.

This is the comment I tried to leave on Evan's blog post (edited a little since my last attempt).

How does moral accountability work with soft libertarianism? Some people say that you can't be blamed for doing wrong if you are unable to do good, and you can't be praised for doing good if you are unable to do bad. But if your nature restricts the scope of your options to good or to bad, then how can you be morally accountable for your actions?

Let's suppose you're in a situation where you can either choose to do X or choose to not do X. Doing X is morally obligatory, which entails that not doing X is wrong. If a person's nature constrains them in such a way that they can only do the right thing, then wouldn't that determine their choice in this case?

The reason I ask is because you defined soft libertarianism as being constrained to your nature, but free within your nature. But when it comes to individual choices, it's not a matter of doing X or doing Y; rather, it's a matter of doing X or not doing X. I can see how if your nature is good, and X and Y are good, then you could choose between X and Y, but if X is good, and not-X is bad, and you had to choose between X and not-X, you'd be determined to choose X, in which case soft libertarianism seems to reduce to determinism.

I suppose you could say there are some goods that are not obligatory. Or some actions are morally neutral. In your example, there's nothing wrong with playing a video game or writing a blog post, but there's also no obligation to do either. They're morally neutral. So you're free to do either. But in cases where some action is either forbidden or required, that wouldn't be the case. If it's forbidden, and your nature is to always do the right thing, then you'd be determined to choose not to do it. If it's required, and your nature is to always do the right thing, then you'd be determined to choose to do it.

So I'm not sure soft libertarianism accounts for a lot of the moral choices we have to make. If you are required to do X, and your nature is to do either right or wrong, then whether you choose X or not, you could not have done otherwise. Can a person be morally responsible for failure to do their duty if it was not within their nature to do their duty? Or can they be worthy of praise for doing their duty if it was not in their nature to refuse?

One of the objections compatibilists like myself have to the notion that Jesus or God had libertarian freedom is that it entails the ability to do evil (see "Does God have free will?"), which they are unable to do because of their perfectly moral character. The fact that Jesus and God are worthy of praise even though they are unable to do evil shows that libertarian freedom isn't necessary for moral responsibility. Soft libertarianism appears to be designed to avoid these criticisms. But I don't think it works. If we're going to say that some kind of libertarian freedom is necessary to be morally responsible, then there are a lot of things Jesus can't be praised for. The demands of the Mosaic law, combined with Jesus' perfect moral character, would've determined his choices in a lot of cases. Also, it seems to me that under the supposition that libertarianism is necessary for moral praise and blame, an act can only be good if one could've done otherwise, and the otherwise must be not good. How could one be worth of praise for choosing one good thing instead of another equally good thing? It seems like the instead of would have to be a bad thing or at least a less good thing. Can you imagine saying, "Oh, you are such a wonderful person because you chose to do that good thing when you could've just as easily chosen to do a different good thing"? That doesn't make sense. I would like to know from anybody who subscribes to soft libertarianism and thinks some kind of libertarianism is necessary for moral praise and blame, why does my ability to choose an equally good option instead of the one I chose make me worthy of praise? How does this improve upon a situation in which I'm determined by my moral character to choose a specific good action, and I couldn't have chosen a different action that was equally good? It seems to me, given the usual way that libertarians think of moral responsibility, I can't be praised for doing good unless I could've chosen evil, and I can't be blamed for choosing evil unless I could've chosen good. So soft libertarianism doesn't seem to solve the problems raised by compabilitists against libertarianism concerning Jesus and God's moral abilities and inabilities and their worthiness of praise.

See also "Does libertarian freedom entail the ability to do good or evil?"

7 comments:

Evan Minton said...

If you ever have a problem leaving a comment, just send me an e-mail (CerebralFaith@Gmail.com) . Here's my answer. Within our moral natures are many goods and many evils we are able to choose from. There are lots of sins within my capacity to commit, but some (many, in fact) are too diabolical, such as torturing a baby for fun. That is not the case for taking God's name in vain in my frustration or choosing to ogle an attractive woman. These latter sins are ones within my frame of capability, and I can either choose to commit or choose to refrain from committing these sins (per 1 Corinthians 10:13). So how does moral accountability work with soft libertarianism? Precisely because of the sins I DO choose to commit, I could have refrained from committing.

Now, I can make worse and worse choices over time and so mar my personal character that I get to the point where I can choose something previously unthinkable. In my article, I gave an example of someone who grows deeper and deeper into sexual depravity. As Ken Keathley put it; "We make choices and our choices make us". Yes, are constrained to a range of choices, but we can move the range through a series of good or bad choices.

There may be some goods that you are currently unable to commit. That's the tragedy of the fall. However, one can respond to God's prevenient grace, receive salvation, and yield to The Holy Spirit to be sanctified until they are able to carry out good X. If one chooses not to yield to the sanctification process, I think they can rightly be blamed for not doing X. They didn't cross the "free will bridge" needed to get to X. Think of this way; I can't blame a fat person for not choosing to be slim in the blink of an eye. But if he chooses not to diet and exercise which will, in the end, make him slim, then I can certainly blame him for not losing weight.

Sam Harper said...

Evan, thanks for reading my blog and responding. I wonder if maybe my comment problem has to do with my browser, but for a while there I was able to comment on Kyle's blog, and now I can't. His comment section looks the same as yours.

Anyway, in your view, is it because my nature/character includes both good and evil that I can be worth of both praise and blame? For example, I'm worthy of praise for doing good because it would not have been out of character for me to have done wrong, or I'm worthy of doing wrong because it would not have been out of character for me to have done right. Is that your view?

If so, how does Jesus fit into this? Was it within Jesus' character to do either good or evil? If not, then how can Jesus be praised for the good he did? If he could only do good, and he couldn't do evil, then what is the basis for praise on your view?

What I meant to criticize was the idea that Jesus could be praised merely on the basis that whenever he does some good, he could've just as easily done something else good since both goods were consistent with his character. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What merit is there in doing one good as opposed to another good if both are equally good? Do you know what I mean?

Sam Harper said...

". . .or I'm worthy of doing wrong because. . ."

That was supposed to read, ". . .or I'm worthy of blame because. . ."

Sam Harper said...

I had one more question for you, Evan. You talked about there being certain choices that are unthinkable for you. So are certain evils that you couldn't commit because of your character.

Does your inability to do certain wrong mean that there is no merit in you not doing them? Let's say, for example, that two people are both faced with the same temptation. Mrs. Robinson tries to seduce them. One of them gives in to the temptation because it was within their character to do so, but it was unthinkable for the other person due to their character. Is there any sense in which the one who refused to give in is morally better than the one who did give in?

Or, suppose there's some good, like forgiving somebody, that one person can do, but another person can't. The person who can't forgive is unable to forgive because of their character. Can he be excused for his failure to forgive on the basis that it was not within his character to forgive?

Can a person be praised or blamed for their character or nature alone? If it is within your character to do more good than another person, are you praiseworthy simply because you have a good moral character? Or are only our actions worthy of praise or blame?

Sam Harper said...

Sorry, but you have my brain going in every whicha direction. Let me tweak the Mrs. Robinson question a little. Let's suppose there are two people--Jim and Bob--who are both faced with the same temptation. Mrs. Robinson is trying to seduce them. It is within Jim's character to either give in or not give in. He could do either because his nature would allow it. It would not be out of character for him either way. But Bob is different. It would be so out of character for Bob to give in to this temptation that it's unthinkable for him. So he's unable to do it due to his character.

Now, let's say that neither one of them gives in to it. Bob couldn't have, but Jim could, yet neither did. How would you assign praise in this situation? Would you give Jim praise on the basis that he could've done it but didn't? Would you not give Bob praise since Bob couldn't have done it anyway?

That seems to be what follows from your view, but it strikes me as being counter-intuitive. The reason Bob can't give in, and Jim can is because Bob's a better person than Jim. His character is more oriented toward the good. So it seems like Bob's inability to give in to the temptation is precisely what makes Bob praiseworthy. Jim is praiseworthy, too, of course, but he's not more praiseworthy than Bob just because he has a worse character that would've allowed him to give in to the temptation. It seems like that's what you'd have to say on your view, though. It seems that on your view, Jim is more praiseworthy than Bob since Jim resisted the temptation in spite of having a morally deficient character.

Jesus' character is perfect, and its his moral perfection that prevents him from ever giving in to Mrs. Robinson or any other temptation. Since Jesus could not have given in to Mrs. Robinson, is he therefore not worthy of praise for resisting the temptation? This is a problem I see with your view. It appears to remove any basis for praise when it comes to Jesus. On my view, the fact that Jesus has a character that is so morally perfect that he is unable to sin is precisely why he is worthy of the highest praise.

Sam Harper said...

I'm starting to wonder if google/blogspot is trying to force me to update my blog theme. They've been trying for a while, but I refuse because I like this lay out, and I don't like the new ones. This morning I tried to post a comment on the Tribalogue blog, but the same thing happened there that happened on Kyle's and Evan's blogs. Maybe google/blogspot has made it to where I can no longer comment on other people's blogs until I update my theme. How frustrating!

Anonymous said...

This is a test comment to see if it works.

Well, look at that.