Thursday, July 21, 2005

Conversations with Angie: Angie suggests cultural relativism

Sam,

Let me say first that I really enjoyed reading this email. It was
very clear and well written. I think you could gather all the emails
you've been sending me and edit them into a very good book.

The arguments that you made were very good, too. They're very
logical. Intellectually, at least, I can see now that the problem of
evil is not a convincing objection to the existence of God. But I
can't really see that the existence of evil is necessarily a proof of
God's existence.

I guess it comes down to the claim that good and evil have to be
objective. Maybe they do NOT have to be objective. Can't it just be
true that humans created the moral systems as their societies
developed, and that they are still legitimate and valid? Most people
groups have created codes forbidding stealing and violence, etc., and
specifying punishments for transgressors. Fundamentally, the codes
are the same for most of the world's people groups (as far as which
behaviors are acceptable and which ones are not - the punishments
obviously vary more).

You mentioned before that you had some arguments for the existence of
God. Maybe now is a good time to go over them?

~Angie

Conversations with Angie:  Reading recommendations

2 comments:

Sam Harper said...

Thanks, Safiyyah. By "easy to read format," do you mean a book or something? Or is there something about my blog format that you don't like?

Sam

Sam Harper said...

Oh yeah, I agree with you Safiyyah.